Kathy's All-Purpose Blog

I guess some people have different blogs for different subjects, but this is it for me, baby. One blog to bring them all, or something.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Spring Fever

When I was an exchange student in Sweden, one of the things I learned is that nobody gets spring fever like the Swedes. It's a function, I'm told, of the long, dark winters they have. Sweden is pretty far north, so the sun sets pretty early in the wintertime. And there are a lot of overcast days where it never really gets light at all. So when the days get longer, and the sun comes out, Swedes go a little nutty. They sit our stand out on their teeny-tiny balconies, exposing pale Nordic skin to the warm rays of the spring sunshine (with predictable results). They have a hard time concentrating on work or school. Spring has come, the long winter is over, and it's time to be outside.

I mention all of this because we in the Northwest face similar wintertime conditions. We, too, see a lot of overcast, and days where it never really gets light out. In late December, it can be full-on dark by 4 p.m.--a fact that I have a hard time convincing Californians of. So when spring comes, I think we get similarly distracted. It's hard to focus when the sun is shining after so many months of gloom and darkness. And, although I think we're a little more sensible with our pale Northwest skin, I think our level of spring fever gives Sweden's a run for its money.

And I mention all of that because this week I have spring fever really, really bad. I can't concentrate on work and I have way too much energy. And, since I work from home, I really have nobody but me to keep me in check. And this week I'm not doing such a good job of it.

I know that soon it will pass, and I'll fall into my summertime routine of grumbling because it's too hot out. For now, though, I'm just enjoying the spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home